Thursday, April 9, 2009

Magic Soup Essay Contest Winners - Part 1

The judges have decided! And we have the winners of the Magic Soup Essay Contest.

The panel was made up of 3 young people: Belle, Liv and Liv's friend Jasime and 3 adults: Gaylon Emerzian and Heidi Umbhau, our producers and Mark Farne, our Community Outreach Coordinator.

We judged 90% on originality and creativity and only 10% on spelling and grammar. The essays were a variety of funny, witty, and heartfelt. So were real recipes, other were complete fantasy. It was really tough to make a decision because there were so many great entries.

We'll be posting the winners as we receive permission from their parents.

Here's two of the winning essays:

Mine is a real soup I have been making for years now. Mom says it was my Grandmas recipe and I really miss her. Its simple but good and everyone loves it. Just did out Grandmas old kettle, its the only one you can use for this soup. The fill with water and add a bunch of diced potatoes. Boil for a half hour or so while talking to Mom or watching TV. Then add some onions and boil another half hour. Sometimes there are two really good TV shows on. Next add spices but don't really look at what you add. Make sure to talk to other people so you don't really pay attention. Now butter and go for the real stuff. Mom says its too expensive to use everyday but Grandma would roll in her grave if we used the fake stuff for the soup. Next the secrete, add some sour cream and mix to no lumps then fill the pot with milk. You can taste it here but its not done. Last of all mix some flour with some more milk so there are no lumps then add to soup so it gets thicker.Then you get to eat but you have to eat with people you like and tell stories about Grandma. Its the best!

Andrew, 14 from Mississippi


My soup is called "Hot melted pepper jack, cheesy, chili, chicken soup." Here is what is in my soup. I put 2 cups of melted pepper jack cheese, 1 1/2 cup of chili, 1/2 cup of garlic, 12 jelly beans, 1 1/2 cup chicken, 1/2 a box of make your own noodles out of dough, 1 cup hot sauce, and 3 cherry flavored stones. You are probably wondering who I am eating it with, or where that person and I are eating it! Well, I will eat it with whoever is staying here at my house. I will eat it in the sky on a big cloud. I will eat it without my family, they are not famous. My family are people I love. I would also serve it on the Eiffel tower, it is a famous building. It would be in a familiar place that I wish to go to soon. My magic "Hot melted pepper jack, cheesy, chili, chicken soup" would give special powers, it would make you fly. We would fly over the city after we eat the soup.

Larry, 12 from Mississippi

Congratulations to all the winners! Thanks to everyone who participated.

Team Spatulatta

No comments:

Post a Comment